Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Housing Startups

Using housing startups as a marker of economic health is a kind of American cargo cult.


When I was 19, I was wandering around a Western city, and stumbled into a neighborhood that was essentially unfinished.  You know the kind:  Peach Orchard Street, Peach Orchard Lane, Peach Orchard Circle.  There's probably now some software for developers that churns out this stuff, but then it was a revelation.  Coming from an "undynamic" area, I'd never seen this kind of stuff.  And it had never been occupied, save by an unlucky few who already had signs out.  I'll spare the suburban cul-de-sac inferno culture critique.  The area was in a downturn, I guess, and there were acres and acres of unmet success all around me.

Creative destruction is the spin: if  a city isn't growing, it's dying.  That's probably true, as we just don't have any other economic model.

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."



No comments:

Post a Comment